May 9, 2012

drum circle

(despite it's blurry quality, i love this photograph)

we met up with some dear friends at a drum circle hosted by one of the local universities in our town. every year, the music therapy department (at TWU) provides all the instruments - mainly djembe's and encourages everyone to play and dance along.

i simply loved that all of the children (and adults!) played and danced along to the singing and drumming - coming alive and fully engaging  their entire beings to the music. it was such a beautiful and fun experience to see the community come together and just be present with their surroundings and with one another. to hear loud singing, hands beating in rhythm, clapping, feet stomping to the beat, and tiny squeals of delight and bursts of laughter, simply made my heart happy.

sparrow absolutely loved every aspect of the drum circle - the drumming, singing, and playing with all of the other kiddos. my little bird loves music so much, it awakens her body and soul, and it's so cute to watch her move to the beat. and as i see the wonder in her eyes, the passion in her smile, and hear her uncontrollable squeals, my heart can't help but swell with emotion. i love my little bird and it is pure joy to be at her side as she experiences all of life's firsts, even little hippie drum circles.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I wish I lived a bit closer to you guys.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...