November 12, 2015

Ethical Shopping for the Holidays

so with Christmas literally around the corner and many of you are in shopping and gift giving mode, I thought I would share about something that is really dear to my {and my husband's} heart. shopping with others in mind. by that I mean, avoiding things made in China, Bangladesh, Vietnam, ect.. and choosing to shop as local and ethically as possible.
It all started about 7 years ago, when me and Christopher watched the documentary, 'The high cost for low prices'.{you can watch it here if you've never seen it}. around the same time I read this book {I really, really recommend!} It was the true starting point for us in shopping ethically for all of our needs and wants. it has even spilled over into how we buy groceries and feed our family - which I plan to talk about more in a future blog post. and the road hasn't been easy, trust me I have had my fair share of moments, of turning a blind eye to the truth, because I just wanted something pretty. and I am not proud of my apathy and weakness in those times, and in those moments I am met with grace and forgiveness from my husband. but, the more my heart loves people, the more I want to be careful with how we are spending our money as a family. and as a mother now, it truly breaks my heart how most things are made.
so here are a few tips and resources that I have learned along the way {and a couple of littles later}

 
one of the easiest ways to shop ethically is secondhand - it keeps you from contributing to unfair labor practices, while also keeping waste to a minimum, because you aren't feeding the industry to create more. so whether it is your local thrift store, consignment store {buffalo exchange, platos closet, clothes mentor} or even craigslist, I always recommend starting there first. if you aren't keen on thrifting my friend Bethany has a wonderful blog and tips here. as well as my friend Shannon, here. {I have my own tips +  tricks too that I could share if there is enough interest}
 
but, maybe you are looking for something specific for a loved one or friend, if you live in denton, I would encourage you to check out the dime store - everything is made by a local artisans {like my shirt that I am wearing is made my dear friend Rachel}. and this place is darling, from Christmas cards, to art, candles, jewelry, they probably have that special something that you are looking for. plus it supports the local economy! another great place is etsy, unless you are living under a rock, you've all heard of etsy! right? you can find everything - as a mama, I just love etsy! this is where I have bought baby moccasins, clothes, blankets, even cloth diapers//covers for my little ones. I also really love the store ten thousand villages - there is one in Ft. Worth, a couple in Dallas, McKinney, even Austin. it's a wonderful place full of fair trade + handmade items - even furniture! and I have to mention one of my absolute favorite resources for shopping ethically - the art of simple. It is a very thorough guide listing every company that is above reproach, from furniture, toys, accessories, beauty, even chocolate. you name it, it's listed!
 
one of my favorite ways to gift give, and is something my husband truly loves to receive, is through organizations like compassion or heifer ministries where you can either sponsor a child in someone's name {or your own name and develop a friendship} or buy a family chickens, a goat, or even provide a water well to truly make a sustainable difference. it's kind of a running joke in our family that we always ask for goats, but our parents know what that truly means, and its an opportunity to practice generosity for another's well being over just getting things. people over things.
{I just had to include this photo, because this was the same day I got to meet baby Gideon}

my hope is that you aren't filled with guilt while reading this, but maybe encouraged to dig a little deeper into how you shopping and spending your money. it's all the father's anyway, I just want to be a good steward of his gift. and maybe you are thinking that this is an impossible task, it's too hard or too expensive, but I want to encourage you to try, even if it's in a small way. just start with a small thing. and when you have to go to target, {like I did last week to buy a trash can/I couldn't find one used} - just take a look. I was able to find a trash can {now, if I am perfectly honest it wasn't the one I wanted, it isn't sleek, slender or metal, but it also isn't something eternal - so I can let that go} permanent markers, and a candle that I really wanted because it smelled like fall, all made in the USA. and with Christmas gifts, I hope this encourages you to be a little more intentional, bake that loved one cookies or make a card, or maybe you know how to sew or paint or make jewelry - go the handmade route. everyone loves receiving something special and especially if you put thought into it. give the gift of intentionality this year, whether if you buy something or make something.
 
hat // gap, from platos closet
jeans // old navy, trifted

 

2 comments:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...